Holy Monastery of Petra

The Holy Monastery of Petra is located about 4 km northwest of the village of Kataphugi. It owes its name to a very large rock (petra in Greek is the rock) that drops sharply into a large green forest and on which the monastery is built. At the lowest part of this rock, there is a large natural cave. The Monastery itself dates from 1553 and has an impressive stone-built temple, in which the frescoes dating from 1625 have successfully been maintained.